Monday, May 7, 2012

Today's Exercise

So, I somehow banged up my knee yesterday. It was pretty sore last night and this morning (just the right knee, the left was fine). Sean didn't want me to go to Kaia, but I didn't want to mess up my perfect attendance. So I went, but I told the coaches that I was taking it easy because of the sore knee. I didn't do any running or jumping or anything else that was high-impact.

One thing that was hard about that was watching other people run and jump. For some reason, I really like sprinting, and there was one station where we did that today. Of course, I couldn't sprint; I had to walk - and watching everyone else sprint was difficult. I'm used to being able to do things like that, but I didn't want to hurt my knee more and end up getting a worse injury. I was really careful, and when I came home I iced the knee and let it rest for a while.

Tonight, the knee is feeling much better. I'm not wearing the knee brace, but I am trying to avoid high-impact activities. Sean and I went for a walk this evening, which was nice, although I had to walk a little slower than usual. I also did some strength exercises - again, I avoided anything that put stress on the knee. Tomorrow, I think I'll try to do high-impact activities for one round, and then take it easy for the next few rounds (of whatever we end up doing). Of course, if my knee is sore in the morning, or if I get pain during class, I won't do any high-impact activities. I'm hoping that by Wednesday I'll be back to normal and be able to do all of the exercises...but if I'm not, that's okay. Like I said, I'd rather take it easy now than push myself too far and end up seriously damaging the knee.

I had a pretty good day nutrition-wise - oatmeal for breakfast, smoothie with protein for lunch, and the Cucumber Pesto Salad for dinner. I did cheat a little bit with the salad - I added some parmesan cheese, which made it way better! I'm still not at the point where I like salad, but it's easy to make and very healthy, so I'll eat it.

Have you ever injured yourself while exercising? How long did it take you to heal?


No comments:

Post a Comment